True person without rank and name.
Through the baptism ceremony the child is being welcomed in society. The baptism helps to build identity and community; it gives this phase of life (entry as a new and minor member into society) a clerical, formal and public frame to consciously carry out and process this important life event. The baptism ceremony is an expression of our gratitude for the child and an inquiry for strength for the way the child has to go and will go. The request for care until adulthood (see confirmation) is directed at the family, the godparents and the society.
Family & Society
What does it mean to be a family, a godparent and a part of society? All these relationships are based on the acceptance of reciprocal responsibilities in six social relationships. The six types of human relationships are those between parents and children, spouses, teacher and pupil, friends, employer and employee, and religious teacher and his disciples. Through fulfilling one's responsibilities, one can achieve harmony, security and prosperity both within the family and in the society as a whole.
Since there are no compulsory and complex rituals for the ceremony, we will determine its sequences in accordance with your wishes.
- In preparation for the ceremony we recommend a short templestay at the Zen Temple.
- We will recite the "Logos from the Heart" for your child.
- We cut a strand of hair which will be given to you with the text.
- The baptismal candidates bow (with accompaniment) respectively in front of family, the godparents and the guests representing the society in order to express the request for care.
- To symbolize the transience of life and death, each of those present can burn a pinch of incense at the end of the ceremony.
- For more specific information regarding duration of the ceremony, schedule, additional texts and speeches, we will gladly discuss it with you personally.
- Please note that the number of participants does not matter.
We suggest a donation of 500.- CHF or by agreement (without templestay & travel expenses). Every single donation is very welcome and will be diligently used for the Zen Temple and enables us to provide a place for meditation.
MASTER OF CEREMONY
Zen Monk Marcel Reding
After ten years of continuous reexamination of the words and actions of the wise and holy Ones in japanese and south-korean zen monasteries, ordained Zen Monk M. Reding founded, in mutual reliance with the clergy and laity, the Insopor Zen Academy in Switzerland in 2014.
Zen Monk Alain Lafon
Zen Monk Alain M. Lafon has lived for three years as Digital Nomad with only a backpack. After many years of formal daily Zen practice and an ordination in 2011, he moved into the Shogen Dojo in Zurich and lead the daily meditation as well as retreats. In 2014, he joined Zen Monk Marcel Reding when the Insopor Zen Academy was found. Now, he is head monk of the Lambda Zen Temple.